Thursday, December 13, 2007

Holy Carp!

I like driving in my carp...



ALL LIT UP: Andy Hazell’s Vauxhall Corsa ‘fish’.
ALL LIT UP: Andy Hazell’s Vauxhall Corsa ‘fish’.
ALL LIT UP: Andy Hazell’s Vauxhall Corsa ‘fish’.
Click on thumbnail to view image
Click on thumbnail to view image
Click on thumbnail to view image


RESIDENTS could be forgiven for thinking 'Oh my Cod', after a local artist transformed his car into a fish.
Andy Hazell, who is also a builder, has spent ‘thousands of pounds’ transforming his Vauxhall Corsa van into an 18ft model of a fish.

He said: “I get plenty of fishy looks from people, but I generally have a whale of a time with it.

“Some people think I am a bit mad, but I love building strange things.

“These days it seems that car makers love a slippery and aerodynamic design, so I thought to myself, a fish is the next step.

“The car has a hydraulic system fitted to it so it can swish its tail and open and close its mouth.”

Andy, 48, from Knighton, said that they he came up with the idea so he could enter the opening parade of Blackpool illuminations.

“Blackpool is big and colourful, so I needed to think of something that would let me stand out in the middle of a crowd. I hope the fish did just that.

“Sadly it’s not allowed on the road so I have to take it to shows and carnivals on a trailer.”

The car has 320 fluorescent lights and a 12-volt motor that operates the mo
ving parts and took three weeks to build.

“I am not going to say how much the car cost to transform, but it is fair to say that it cost thousands of pounds,” Andy added.

The fish car is not the first unusual project that Andy has worked on, with his designs being showcased in towns and cities across the country.

In the past he has designed and made a life-size tractor that was made out of tin and a tree made out of fish, which is currently located at the Children’s Hospital of Wales in Cardiff.

“I have also built an orrery, which is a mechanical model of the solar system. It was used on a BBC show about the composer Gustav Holst and also in an episode of Dr Who.”

Andy’s next project is a moped-powered donkey.

“I have just managed to buy an engine off eBay so I am quite happy. Work on the donkey will begin soon and hopefully it will be finished sometime next year.”

No comments: